There are several ways and means to show emotional support. Whether you are on the receiving end of the emotional support or the one giving it away, it can have an impact on both of your lives. The best counsellor Sydney has to offer can give you the emotional support you need especially during times of depression. Here are 7 ways in which emotional support can be given:
1. Make physical contact to show love and support. A simple touch or a hug could mean a lot to someone who is in need of them. The act of touching someone lets them know that they are not alone in whatever battle it is they are going through. Let them know that you are part of that battle.
2. Respect their feelings. A Sydney counsellor will tell you to respect people who go through depression and whatever emotions they are having. Every individual responds to negative emotions differently. Therefore, you have to respect the way people address their feelings as well.
3. Appreciate them. People who go through depression and dealing with depressive thoughts will feel better if you appreciate them. This will change their perspective on people and the world in general. By showing kindness towards them, they will come to an understanding that there is still good in the world.
4. Do not judge them or their emotions. If a person going through an emotional struggle wants to express their ideas, listen to them. Do not dismiss them without listening to what they have to say. You can disagree with them but do so in a kind and loving way rather than in a condescending manner.
5. Just listen… deeply. Even if listening is all you can give to the person going through emotional battles, give that to them. The best counsellor Sydney currently has can provide them with the professional guidance and counselling they need. But in the meantime, you can be the set of ears they need to express themselves and let out negative emotions.
6. Always speak to them in a loving tone. Address them in a loving way so they will also feel loved and valued. An expert counsellor in Sydney would say that communication is half visual and half tonal. The way you speak to them is just as important as what you say or do towards them. Make sure you exhibit sincerity when addressing them. If they genuinely feel that you are coming from a caring place, they will open themselves up to you.
7. Put out all the stops. When you see that someone is struggling, go to great lengths to make sure that the feeling is reversed. Depression is a real issue. You should not turn a blind cheek to it. Make sure you bring it to the attention of a professional who can better address the situation.
An experienced counsellor Sydney has today can help you cope with the emotions you are having. Therefore, you need to speak to a professional when you are not getting the support you need. They can help deal with your emotions and turn your negative thoughts into something positive.
Visit Dan Hadley Adelaide